Rhinoplasty (Nose Surgery)
While the shape of your nose is usually the one you inherited, the appearance may have been distorted in an injury or because of a previous surgery. A Rhinoplasty is designed to improve the appearance and proportion of your nose, creating a more pleasing facial anatomy.
Rhinoplasty may also correct impaired breathing caused by structural abnormalities in the nose. Nose surgery to correct an obstructed airway requires careful evaluation of the nasal structure. Improvement of a deviated septum—a common causes of breathing difficulty—is achieved by adjusting the nasal structure. In some cases, a deviated septum can be corrected in conjunction with a rhinoplasty surgery.
What Can Rhinoplasty Accomplish?
Rhinoplasty can change:
- Nose width, at the bridge
- Nasal asymmetry and deviation
- Nostrils that are large, wide or upturned
- Nose size, in relation to the other facial structures
- Nasal tip, that is large or bulbous, drooping, or too upturned
- Nose profile, with visible humps or depressions on the bridge
Your Rhinoplasty Consultation With Dr. Bell
The success and safety of your nose surgery depends very much on your complete candor during your consultation.
Be Ready To Discuss With Dr. Bell:
- Previous surgeries
- Medical conditions and drug allergies
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Use of medications, herbal supplements, vitamins, tobacco, alcohol and other drugs
Dr. Bell May Also:
- Discuss your options and recommend a course for reshaping your nose
- Discuss likely outcomes of a nose surgery as well as any risks or potential complications
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
Your Rhinoplasty Surgery At Dr Bell's Accredited Surgical Facility In Toronto
Dr. Bell performs Rhinoplasty either using a closed procedure, where he conceals incisions inside the nose, or an open procedure, where he makes an incision across the columella (the narrow strip of tissue that separates the nostrils). Through these incisions, Dr. Bell gently lifts the soft tissues that cover the nose, allowing access to reshape the structure of your nose.
In cases where dramatic reshaping of the nose is required, Dr. Bell is able to reduce or augment nasal structures during a rhinoplasty procedure by using tiny amounts of cartilage taken from other areas of the body.
Correcting a deviated septum
If the septum is deviated, it can be straightened and any projections inside the nose can be reduced for improved breathing.
Once Dr. Bell sculpts the underlying structure of the nose to achieve the desired results, nasal skin and tissue is re-draped and incisions are closed. Dr. Bell may place additional incisions in the natural creases of the nostrils to adjust their size.
Your nose will be supported by special dressings as it begins to heal for approximately one week. While early swelling lessens within a few weeks, you can look forward to steady improvement for up to a year as your new nasal contours fully refine.